Welcome to the Eat, Shop, Play, Love blog. This is a writing experiment that aims to lend a voice to the millions of Asians around the world who have left their native countries to live their lives in a different place, for whatever the reasons may be. Read the authors' profiles here.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Una Ragazza on Play: A Tale of Hispanic Proportions

As a latecomer to the world of traveling, I belong to the school of thought that "the more I travel, the less I know."

By that, I am referring to the humbling effect that traveling has on the occasional Ms. Know-It-All that I can be.

Before moving to new York,
my understanding of Jewish history and culture was primitive at best.

Before visiting Saigon, I had little idea how a nation so devastated by war can bounce back so strongly to become the world's fifth largest rice and fourth coffee producer.


Mangosteens to go in bustling Saigon

If not for my year in Belgium, I may not have truly appreciated the role that this little country played in the World Wars. Or, more importantly for some of us, how it introduced fries to American soldiers who mistook the Belgians for the French.


The ubiquitous Belgian street food -- fries in a cone, avec mayo

In a similar wanderlust fashion, I have come to learn quite a bit about the Hispanics through the time I've spent in the United States. In this country, this term is generally used to describe people with a cultural or historical connection to Latin American countries in the former Spanish empire.

The first time I met and got to know a Hispanic, I was taking Spanish-language classes while in graduate school in the South. The teacher was from Chile and she was as boisterous and passionate as Latinos come (as I'd soon learn). Our lessons included music and dance as well as a fiesta at the end of the semester, complete with cervezas (beers), nachos, guacamole and salsa.


Food at a Cinco de Mayo fiesta

Over the years, I have come to appreciate what is potentially becoming the major minority race in the United States.

Like many Singaporeans with forefathers from China or India, Hispanic Americans who are first- or second-generation Americans tend to speak two languages: English and Spanish. As Latin America strengthens its economy and international influence, so too does the importance of having such linguistic skills. It is heartening to see a large and powerful but traditionally monolingual nation accord the Spanish language an increasing role in its society as the Hispanic population grows in strength.
As a lover of languages and a firm believer that every child should grow up being exposed to more than one language, I hold the secret wish that this social phenomenon may one day lead to America being a bilingual nation (one can hope, and I am optimistic).

Many Latinos who come here do so under challenging circumstances, often leaving their family and loved ones behind and sending for them only when enough savings have been accumulated. In a way, it reminds me of the grandparents of many Chinese Singaporeans who risked disease, turbulent seas and war to travel south and start life with bare essentials so as to give their offspring the chance for a better future. It is heartening that research shows Hispanic children with immigrant parents have a substantially higher level of education than the previous generation and the propensity to lift the family out of the lower income-class level into the middle-income bracket.

The Latino family is a close-knit one, in which elders are treated with respect and family ties are strong. In a society where the mainstream media do not necessarily espouse such values as a cornerstone of the 21st century family, it is encouraging to a traditionally-raised Asian like myself to see that the Hispanic culture embraces traditional family values akin to the ones Confucius would have taught.

I am personally impressed by the many genuine, polite and hardworking Latinos I've come across. Be they office colleagues, waiters and takeout delivery folks in America, or tourism workers and residents in Central and South America whom I've met during my travels, I have constantly been greeted by courtesy, honesty and a smile.


Carne asada served with a cheery "Buen provecho!"

Has it not been for these first-hand experiences with Latinos both in America and to its south, I believe I may not have truly appreciated the ongoing national discussion about the immigration issue.

Five years ago, I made my maiden trip to Latin America, and have since been back on a near-annual basis. This year, I even ventured south twice, first with Auntie Bonnie to Mexico and then to the Caribbean with a friend I met while backpacking in Central America the previous year.


Food is a great teacher: Checking out a century-old diner in Old San Juan

There are many more countries and places that remain to be explored, and I look forward to peeling away a thin layer with each new trip. Just like in Asia, where many countries share similarities yet are unique in their individual ways, Latin America comprises 20 countries (and about half as many dependencies) with their own intriguing history and personalities.


Cheery Mexican dolls from a recent trip to the capital

Living in New York, I am fortunate enough to be able to experience a little bit of each of these cultures often with the help of a $2.25 subway card, thanks to the city's diversity.

However, all this does is to intensely increase my desire to get to the roots of these interesting peoples. After all, how can I learn from this far away, the travel bug in my pants argues.

Tierra del Fuego for New Year's Eve next year, anyone?


Patagonia awaits

(Some pictures taken from the Internet)

No comments:

Post a Comment