Welcome to the Eat, Shop, Play, Love blog. This is a writing experiment that aims to lend a voice to the millions of Asians around the world who have left their native countries to live their lives in a different place, for whatever the reasons may be. Read the authors' profiles here.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Group Rojak Timeout: Holiday!

Week One of 2011 is almost over, and some of us girls on eat.shop.play.love are still recovering from our year-end hangover. Take a 3-minute virtual vacation with us to the many corners of our lovely earth: Tasmania, Oslo, Barcelona, Turks and Caicos, Vegas and New York.

Duck's Nuts Says:


I usually head overseas this time of the year to visit my family in Singapore and in other countries, but I decided to stay and enjoy the Australian summer this time round. I still find it odd to celebrate a sunny Christmas, but a week-long jaunt to Tasmania to meet a friend satisfied my longing for some time away from Sydney. We visited three national parks at Maria Island, Ben Lomond and Mt Williams, and did some hiking and camping.


Here's a rainbow over Maria Island, which is off the coast of south-east Tasmania. It used to be where some convicts from Great Britain were held, before becoming a site for cement production. It's now a national park.


The painted cliffs at Maria Island, formed through the percolation of ground water through the sandstone.


The water was so still you could see the sky reflected on it. Seeing this made me feel like I was in a painting.


On the other side of Ben Lomond, we walked down a road called Jacob's Ladder, which is very steep.


No holiday in Tasmania is complete without a glimpse of the local wildlife. I think this one is of a kangaroo and her joey at the Bay of Fires. The wild kangaroos and wallabies stare at you straight in the face for the longest time before hopping off when you near them.


Sights like that make me wish I grew up on a farm, with lots of vast open space, rather than a HDB flat!

***

Little Pixy Boots had a lovely Norwegian holiday, sprinkled with a little Spanish excitement in Barcelona.



Dear Santa, I just wanted to say, "Merry Christmas to Chew."


I don't usually have bacon for breakfast, but I couldn't resist.


Jultomten (the Christmas elf) caught taking a break.


"Honey, that's not exactly hiding the presents from the kids."


Enough sugar to power a day of sightseeing in Gaudi's city.


"I've never said that attaining enlightenment was easy."

***

Cirrus Cloud takes not one, but two, vacations to end the year with a bang! First up was fabulous Turks and Caicos. Next, a New Year countdown in Sin City -- Las Vegas.



Glorious.


Here's a view from my room in Turks and Caicos, when I open my eyes in the morning...


... When I turn to my right whilst in bed, this is what I see.



Watching the sunset, sipping a cocktail. Life is good.



View from our room in the Wynn in Las Vegas, NV.

***

Una Ragazza enjoys Santa's Christmas gift of a snowy blanket that brings joy and havoc (depending on who you ask) to the New York Metropolitan area. Nothing like 30 degree F weather to make you look forward to jumping on a 24-hour plane ride home to the equator!


Overnight, the a/c gets a white cap that is a foot-and-a-half tall.



Kids of all ages and sizes rush to the once-grassy slopes of River Side Park with their sleds. Wheee!



White and serene. A zen Manhattan that we rarely see.



On the 10th day of Christmas... the garbage has still not been cleared!


... two broken washing machines, and a beer bottle stuck in a Christmas tree.



Making s'mores in my fireplace. Delish!


Doing research for our upcoming Singapore vacation in Cafe Lalo, while waiting for Meg Ryan to show up for a cheesecake and an espresso.

From all of us here at eat.shop.play.love -- have a fabulous 2011!

***

No comments:

Post a Comment