Welcome to the Eat, Shop, Play, Love blog. This is a writing experiment that aims to lend a voice to the millions of Asians around the world who have left their native countries to live their lives in a different place, for whatever the reasons may be. Read the authors' profiles here.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Denim on Shop: The shopper rehab programme


It is terribly difficult to have to write about shopping when one of my resolutions this year is to do the exact opposite. Ok, I don't mean cold turkey but my goal is to shop less. Much, much less. I have that resolution in writing, taped to the kitchen wall. This is a big commitment coming from a girl who cannot help herself by constantly scanning the retail environment, even while conversing with others or while wiping up baby milk spit.

Shopping is instinctive to me. I sound like a manic consumerist and am sadly so. Even the simple joy of window shopping can make my day. Likewise, the simple act of being made to walk away from a sale item breaks my heart. (The husband intervention.) I am also well-known in the family for my famous line, "I smell the city!" complete with a long inhale of the stinky air rolling in from the car window as we cruise through Shibuya (one of the shopping havens in Tokyo). You get the idea.

Being deprived of shopping in Tokyo is like fasting when it's Chinese New Year. It's terribly unfair when you are surrounded by temptation. But perhaps describing the Tokyo shopping experience can help me purge the shopping withdrawal symptoms.

1) New Year Sales

The biggest sale in Tokyo is the New Year's Sales. Before my kid was born, the 2nd of Jan was like Christmas Day shopping for myself. The malls slash up to 70% on price tags, they have big wagons of nice things at prices I can finally afford. There is a big boom of retail spirit with cashiers ringing to counter the somber quiet of the cultural New Year spirit at home. They also have my favorite 'fukubukuro' which is a 'lucky bag' of mixed items concealed but priced very cheaply at US$10/30/50/100. (They call it Happy Price- another gimmick to lure a sucker like me.) The strategy is to buy them at stores you frequent so you don't end up with things you won't want. I am always tempted to try my luck at them but the husband always stops me from buying 'mysterious garbage'.

A fukubukuro and it's contents

SALE- need I say more?

2) The Welcome Service

As much as the incessant high-pitched nasal sirens of 'Irashaiimasen' (welcome in Japanese) annoys me, I have come to enjoy this robotic greeting. It feels nice to be acknowledged as a potential customer. It feels very democratic that they are not discriminating against this sorry-looking mom-daughter pair who appears to be in disarray.

A bevy of beautiful sirens

3) The Wrapping Service

At cashiers of most reputable stores, the staff would always ask if you are purchasing the item for home use or as a gift. And no item is too small or too insignificant to be wrapped up lovingly. Yes, I have even tried to have them gift wrap a pack of black hair rubber bands I had bought for my daughter, simply because I felt like I was in the mood for some pampering and I fudged the truth about the gift bit. Well, it was for someone else wasn't it? Having my purchases wrapped up with soft paper or put in pretty gift boxes or sealed with a pretty sticker makes me feel like I have a Christmas present for myself everytime I shop. But these days, the eco conscience has gotten the better of me so I try to go without the wrapping frills lately.

See the beautiful fan knot on top of the silver bag? Plus an extra paper bag to bag that gift!

4) The Sales Staff

Speaking Japanese more these days has become more dangerous for a shopper like me. It means I am more able to engage and hold conversations with the shop staff. Before I used to say 'Wakarimasen' (I don't understand) and they smile and waltz away gracefully. Now, when they approach me with information about the dress I have gentle caressed between my fingers, I get to ask them more questions such as, 'do you have it in other colors?' Customer service in Japan is generally top class. They are quick to pick up things for you to match an item with and should you dare proceed into the fitting room, they are quick with compliments of how great you look in the item and listen attentively to why you are not too happy with it. (One word about the fitting rooms is that they expect you to take off your shoes to step inside and it is very inconvenient, especially during winter shopping when I have to keep a toddler on hand and take off long boots!) If it doesn't fit as you expected, they promptly go off and bring you two other pieces which might fit the bill. I have been conned more than once because I have succumbed to their friendly flattery. And it really helps that they are so well-groomed in a style that reflects the fashion point of view of the shop! It always make me feel like I am taking honest fashion advice from a fashionista or at least, a fashionista wannabe.

Spot the patient sales clerk standing on alert even before the shop opens

5) The Retail Look

They put a lot of effort in retail decor such that every shop looks unique and distinct. Because the marketplace is so congested, a lot of pain is put into the visual presentation of the shop and design consideration is taken at every angle you turn. This is not limited to top-end boutiques and also applies to the regular shops here. So there’s a lot of exciting eye candy around as everything is always fresh and new. The elaborate decor often looks like they have been sourced specifically such as an old European sewing machine or a life-sized stuffed baby giraffe.

A huge Kaws statue showcased right at the entrance of a shop called Original Fake. I have always wondered how they got that giant down to that basement level!

6) The Seasons

I love how the shops are always on trend but not homogenous looking. If puffy sleeves are in season, you can be sure to find them in varying materials, adornments, colors, and textures. You seldom worry about wearing something the same as the next girl on the street. Even if that should happen, you can be sure that the Japanese girls would mix and match and accessorize their apparels very differently. The seasons ensure that one continuously gets a refreshing sense of newness every time one shops. It is also a big driver for food and beverage sales. The Japanese market is known for releasing seasonal ‘limited edition’ flavors or packaging to entice customers so you are always spoilt for choice. How about that green tea Kit Kat or Hokkaido butter potato chips?


One snack, 3 different flavors for each region makes SIX 'limited edition' flavors

7) The Details

Even when shopping for an apple, the information displayed next to it tells you where it is grown and how sweet it would be and if they can, they describe the type of sweetness you can expect. (For example, sweet like honey or sweet with the right tartness.) For garments, some shops have tags on them that subtly outline the key-selling 'Point'. Perhaps it is special lambswool or a pearl button or a short write up of where the brand is from (England/Paris/Italy). A look at their fashion magazines can show you the lengths they take to differentiate between 10 similar but different cream cardigans. Or check out an online website like zozo.jp. Every question that might cross your mind is listed and if you are worried about the fit, they provide you the model's measurements for you to project how you might differ.

Different names for different apples but they must all be really sweet!

So you see, I have given you 7 good reasons to try out the shopping experience here in Tokyo for yourself. It is definitely overwhelming at first but it would trigger and expand your visual appetite in a way that nothing else would ever compare. I know that as my shopping cravings when I am back home has been cured! Haha.

Well, all this talk of shopping when I am on a 'diet' is making me very hungry. I think I would have to now go and satisfy my pangs by going to the supermarket to shop for some groceries. That's the real reason why I cook quite a bit these days. All that fresh food from the frequent marketing (read: shopping) has to be put to good use!

PS: I'd always thought Ms Gilbert was missing an important chapter and I am so glad this blog owner thought the same.

(Some pictures sourced from the internet)

3 comments:

  1. denim - this is really insightful. love the mysterious garbage. what kinds of things did you get in your most recent fukubukuro?

    ReplyDelete
  2. insightful as it is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I MISS TOKYO!!
    *help*

    ReplyDelete