Welcome to the Eat, Shop, Play, Love blog. This is a writing experiment that aims to lend a voice to the millions of Asians around the world who have left their native countries to live their lives in a different place, for whatever the reasons may be. Read the authors' profiles here.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Rojak Timeout: Una Ragazza this Chinese New Year

Today's Rojak Timeout is by Una Ragazza, who shares a little something passed down from the matriach of her family.

Enjoy the rest of Chinese New Year. Don't forget to go down to the nearest river with mandarin oranges on the 15th day, the Lunar Valentine's Day, where making a wish and throwing them in the river may bring forth a new mate this year. Try it.



* * *

The Chinese New Year is a time of socializing, relaxing and eating. Like every other Chinese family in Singapore I know, mine takes great pride in preparing delicious meals for the many relatives and friends who would come to my house. Why my house, instead of those of other aunts and uncles?


The tradition goes back more than 15 years, when my grandparents moved in with us. It is common for all relatives to congregate in the house of the most senior member in the extended family. Therefore, since the early 1990s, that house has been mine. This practice continued even after my ah-ma (grandma) and ah-gong (grandpa) passed away in the late 90’s and 00’s, respectively.

Having spent half my life growing up under the same roof as ah-ma and ah-gong, I still think of them very much. Chinese New Year is an especially tender moment, as ah-ma was an instrumental part of the celebrations, orchestrating the kitchen to ensure everybody was well-satiated over the multi-day festivities. Ah-gong, although less boisterous, worked quietly to ensure we had beautiful flowers and plants in our little garden as well as fresh fruits as dessert for every meal.

I could go on reminiscing for a good amount of time. Instead, in memory of my ah-ma, I’ll share with you something she’d taught me years ago that will always remain a part of me.

When I was about 13, ah-ma taught me a little poem that lists the animals in the order that they appear in the Chinese zodiac calendar. Because these 12 animals always repeat every dozen years, knowing their order means that you can easily count the age of any person, as long as you know his or her Chinese zodiac sign.

Because I'd learnt it in the Chinese dialect of teochew, I will recite it in that form and include an English translation. Here goes:

Eek tsuh
(1 - mouse)

Gee goo
(2 - ox)

Sa hoe
(3 - tiger)

See tow
(4 - rabbit [2011, 2023...])

Ngo leng
(5 - dragon)

Lahk jua
(6 - snake)

Tsik beh
(7 - horse)

boi ngee-aw
(8 - sheep)

gow gow
(9 - monkey)

chap koi
(10 - rooster)

chap eek gow
(11 - dog)

chap gee du bor dooay nahng tsao
(12 - mama pig runs off with some gangsta pig!)

So there you go. Pronunciation credits go to my test reader, Un Ragazzo.

To my non-Chinese friends: Can you calculate your Chinese zodiac sign?

To the rest of us: Xin Nian Kuai Le!


Watching the lion dance on Hong Kong's Lantau Island during my visit to Asia this winter

No comments:

Post a Comment