Welcome to the Eat, Shop, Play, Love blog. This is a writing experiment that aims to lend a voice to the millions of Asians around the world who have left their native countries to live their lives in a different place, for whatever the reasons may be. Read the authors' profiles here.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cirrus Cloud on Love: Our Anniversary

Our anniversary was a double celebration: it marked our first year of marriage and our first year in New York.

"Being married" – a year ago, these words were foreign to me. Well, not exactly foreign but I was merely acquainted with them.





You see, I used to be a typical career woman. I loved clinching deals and sniffing out new ones. I always joked that there was no need to get married; it was better to make loads of money and check myself into a home when I grew old. There was no need for dependency. That was passé.

They say you meet "The One" when you least expect it.

I remember asking my colleague about her husband and how she knew he was "The One." They got married within six months of meeting each other. She threw me a hackneyed “when you know, you know." I secretly rolled my eyes and thought, “Whatever."

So, it was at yet another work-do that I would meet "Him," and I was highly inebriated on sangria and Dom Perignon. But even when the so-called beer goggles wore off, his looks and personality still charmed me as the evening wore on.

Before long, we started dating, and our relationship just got better as time went by. How strange. I was used to the cliché that things only go downhill henceforth.

We only saw each other on weekends as he worked in Hong Kong and I, Singapore. To bridge the gap, we would take turns traveling to one another's home base every Friday and return to our respective countries on the late flight Sunday.


One of the things we would do over the weekend in Hong Kong (Horse Racing in Sha Tin). In this picture, it appears that the horse is headless. Fear not, his head is bent over to his left.

This arrangement worked out fine as we were both busy bankers. We coped well until he received news that he was going to be posted to New York City.

I have never had much faith in long-distance relationships. Hong Kong-Singapore was manageable but sometimes still a pain. New York-Singapore? How about no way, Jose? I loved my job and my colleagues, not to mention my family and friends. It was a hard choice.

It was around that time that he proposed marriage. Now, I love risk, but this was going to be the biggest test of my love yet. Risk in business could be hedged. Risk in love -–in my opinion – ends in a binary result: you either win or you lose.

But you know what I decided in the end.

Yes, I quit my job, packed my bags and moved to New York after our civil marriage in Singapore. I had taken on a new role: an unemployed housewife.

Even after a year, I am still not used to putting down “homemaker” as my occupation on custom forms. I cringe each time I have to write that down. But I don't mean to offend all the great housewives out there. It is the hardest job one can ever do. It is such a selfless job, but one for which I feel I receive no personal gratification.


Beware the amateur chef!

I was simply not accustomed to my new life. I used to be rewarded in dollars for the amount of hard work I put in. Now, the math was incorrect!

My husband was empathetic. He knew how career-minded I was. He felt guilty about uprooting me from my job, my family, my friends and, most of all, for the loss of my sense of independence. He even suggested drawing up a "contract" with an arbitrary salary, so that I could pretend that he had employed me, if that would make me feel better.

No, he wasn't suggesting a prenuptial agreement. We both think that kills any romance in a relationship. It is akin to a self-fulfilling prophecy that your marriage will end at some point.

Eventually, I decided on a fancy new work title with my "boss": I am now the Secretary of Home Affairs. Literally.

I deal with everything at home – from leaking pipes to bank managers. I wear more hats than I thought I ever would. Oh, and my work wardrobe has also grown: On some evenings, I dress up as a corporate wife. Then I get to wear sweats to the gym and casual clothes to run errands.


My new best friends!

But I no longer wear power suits, which I miss. I have an undefined job scope, which I still cannot fathom at times. I have no colleagues to chat with, and I can go an entire day without speaking to anyone.

Instead of whining, I should tell you the perks of my new job.

I get to wake up at 10 a.m. everyday. No more 7 a.m. breakfast meetings and midnight conference calls. My time is my own. I have salsa lessons three times a week and Spanish classes twice a week. I have also learned how to cook and clean. I dictate what I do with my life, for the most part.

But these changes have also been a shock to my system. I can no longer tolerate caffeine or alcohol much, and I get tipsy after two glasses of wine. Mind you, I could chug a bottle or two in my heyday.

In a sense, I am detoxifying my body and my spirit. I now have time to say "hello" to the wine merchants downstairs. I have time to chat with fellow shoppers and I have time to write blogs!

I am now in the second year of my new job, which I cannot terminate as I wish. I did not get a pay increase but I did receive a paltry year-end bonus – just like the rest of the average Joes serving the powers-that-be in the banking industry!

I am in awe of women who are full-time mothers and homemakers. This tale is to thank my mum for her years of dedication to her family. And to all the great homemakers out there – three cheers for you all!

24 comments:

  1. I'm happy for you Cecilia. Sounds like a new, spirited adventure. Deal-making is insatiable and can bring out the worst in people. In any case, hope to visit you one day in NYC. Indulge in the city's culture.

    cheers,

    holman

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed, I cried, I smiled - what a smashing read. Blogs will come and go but with writing of this quality this one will stand the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holman, come to NYC anytime. Happy to host! :)
    You are indeed insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am little biased, it is true but world class, should be turned into a documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam, you are h.i.l.a.r.i.o.u.s!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for letting us know what our wives sacrifice and go through when they unselfishly drop their careers and devote their time and energy to making our families work better!!! Bravo for an excellent read!

    now how about that homecooked meal?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should be so proud that you developed another potential in you-- "professional" homemaker, a lost art in our generation. I remembered having to call long distant for my mom's secret ingredients of marinated beef shank. Congrats on a multi faceted life achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well cecilia...God has his plans...maybe he thinks this is the only way to get you to learn to cook! :P Anyway, love the post. Shared it with my colleagues and they loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Angie and Lulu. Always great to hear supportive words from wonderful women like yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - I can't believe it has been a year since your wedding! I am so happy that you have settled nicely in NY, and that you are taking on new and unexpected challenges. You are still cheerful and adventurous, as I have ever known you to be. Looking forward to catching up in the city very soon! P

    ReplyDelete
  11. i know this woman personally. true: she used to eat men up for lunch and spit them out after. today: i think she's happier than lark. Nice, C.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAHA Theng. I suffered massive bouts of indigestion then. ;P

    P: See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the post, CT!
    Glad to hear you are having a blast. I think you should submit a screenplay on: Desperate Housewives - NYC Edition.
    :)
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brian, can you do a Ryan Seacrest? After all, you've got the same hairstyle. Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. erm it's very touching wor. but u nei tell pple how u stalk your friends at 1am in the morning meh in nyc?

    remember hor, some things, sometimes, u gots to let go.

    ciao bella!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yinn Lee: Thanks for being there when I need to vent the NYC anger. HAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good one, C! I enjoyed reading it very much :)

    Like you, I still struggle to write housewife / homemaker on any form. haha. Btw, depending on your dynamics with The Man, you will eventually wear more hats (I think you already are without realizing) - I am Minister of Food, Minister of Finance (but slowly becoming redundant cause of GIRO - no complaints!), Minister of Home Affairs, Minister of Health, Minister of Transport (fetch the kid all around) ...

    I am happy you are happy, babe! :) Stay that way.

    Oh, re your pic of those tools of the trade. Try Bounce sheets (fabric softeners). Makes the sheets and towels real nice and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sammie!
    Homemaker is tough. Homemaker plus kid(s) is way tougher. *Salute*
    At least you are "minister" already. I am just a secretary....I will work harder. Heh.

    Tx for bouncy tip. Got it too. Just forgot to take it in the photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi! i LOVED the post! think your descriptions were spot on - at least that's how i used to feel!

    reading the post sure took me back about 3.5 years ago when i quit my full-time job to move to Maryland with my husband, 1 year old son and daughter who was in-utero at the time. and i remember the times when people would ask me what i did for a living and i'd say, "i used to be a "insert job name" but i'm now a stay-home mom. BUT (caps intended) i'll be going back to the job in "insert time" when i get back to Singapore."

    i think they must have all been bewildered at my lengthy response.

    and thanks for reminding me of my ex-colleagues - my ex-homemaker heart skipped a beat when i saw Oxi-Clean! i swear i smelt his scent when i saw the pic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It comes as a surprise how much CT has changed over the past year! This lady used to intimide the hell out of me in the office when I was doing my internship. Little did I think that she'd be able to change and adapt so quickly.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this blog CT. I'm sure you would be surprised at the number of people who are extremely envious of you and your current situation, and are trying to live their lives vicariously through you.

    P.S. Still can't picture you as the wonderful homemaker you've become!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi me, thanks for the nice post! :)

    Spence: I so did not scare you.... :P

    ReplyDelete
  22. If I remember correctly...you had no problem knocking back that Dom P on that 'night' in NYC...still got it!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haha Dee! Indeed!

    ReplyDelete